Events for inclusive discussions
Urban Maestro Masterclass
Urban Maestro Masterclass brought together a group of 40 international students from a variety of disciplines to work with a range of academics, practitioners and other invited experts, examining real-life case studies as a way to explore issues surrounding the topic of urban governance. The analysed case studies included IBA Thuringen (DE), Room for the River and Q teams (NL), Citygate development (BE), and Co-city Torino (IT) projects.
The Masterclass gave participants the chance to engage with real-life stakeholders, allowing them to gain an insight into the range of skills and roles involved in creating good quality urban spaces, and a better understanding of the political, social and economic environment in which they will be practising.
A series of online workshops and seminars spanned over 4 workshop sessions and were guided by these tutors:
• David Bauer (DE) – Habitat Unit, Department of Urbanism – TU Berlin
• Jana Čulek (HR) – PhD researcher, architect, urban planner – Studio Fabula, TU Delft
• Una Daly (IE) – Lecturer, Design review panel member – Design South East, UCC
• Anna Koskinen (FI) – Research Assistant, Department of Urbanism – Tampere University
• Pablo Sendra (ES) – Associate Professor of Planning & Urban Design – UCL Bartlett
• Guillaume Sokal (BE) – Architect and Civil Engineer – SLRB
• Sandra van Assen (NL) – PhD researcher, architect, urban planner – TU Delft
• Paul van der Kuil (NL) – Lecturer in Real Estate Management & Urban Development – TU Berlin
During the final online session of the Urban Maestro Masterclass, the students and their tutors will present their findings and suggest ways to promote good urban design governance. A panel of invited experts will provide feedback and open up a wider debate on the culture of urban design governance with the audience.